- University of Iowa, B.B.A., 1981
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1985
- The Iowa State Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Woodbury County Bar Association
- Iowa Council of School Board Attorneys
- NSBA Council of School Attorneys
Maureen Brown Heffernan joined the Firm as an associate in 1985, becoming a partner in 1992. Maureen's practice is focused in the areas of Employment Law and Education Law.
Maureen was born in Bethesda, Maryland, and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. She graduated from the University of Iowa in 1981 with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Industrial Relations. Maureen attended the University of Iowa College of Law, was awarded her Juris Doctor, with distinction, in 1985 and was admitted to practice in Iowa that same year. She is admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa.
Maureen's practice includes the representation of both public and private K-12 schools and private institutions of higher education. She advises clients on a wide range of issues from board governance, administrative policy development, student and employee issues, compliance with applicable accreditation requirements, student records issues, open meetings and open records laws, and civil rights compliance.
Maureen regularly counsels her employer clients on matters related to hiring, employment policies, employee handbooks, compliance with state and federal employment laws, including nondiscrimination, harassment investigations, family and medical leave, military leave and other leave and disability accommodation issues, wage and hour matters, drug testing, social media issues in the workplace, employee discipline and discharge issues, employment and severance agreements, non-compete agreements, and workforce reductions.
- Named to “Best Lawyers in America ®,” Education Law, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Named to "Best Lawyers in America ®," Employment Law - Management 2021, 2022
- Member – The Iowa State Bar Association, Advisory Ethics and Practice Guidelines Committee
- Past Member – Iowa Supreme Court Commission on the Unauthorized Practice of Law
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Education Law
- Employment Law